Friday, February 24, 2012

The Bachelor Effect

So, I have a guilty pleasure. A very guilty pleasure. I enjoy watching The Bachelor. Okay, scratch that, watching The Bachelor is somewhat sociably  acceptable. I enjoy watching only the last five minutes of the hit reality show. The part where the handsome singleton sends a couple of not-so- worthy women home in the limo of despair. I can't help but find the interviews that occur in that limo unequivocally hilarious. I mean, first these pretty women start off all calm and state something politically acceptable such as "Coming on to this show I realized this was a distinct possibility." Then once the shock they are no longer a cast member on the hit ABC show finally sinks in, the woman promptly transforms into a blubbering bimbo insistent on bringing herself and her family to a lifetime of shame. They then commence to yell nonsense at the screen that include a slur of phrases such as "Never love again" and "Why me?" that probably sends the cameraman scrambling for local tranquilizers strong enough to slay a camel.
If you're reading this you're probably convinced that I'm some sick sadist who just enjoys the despair of physically attractive women. On the contrary, I do feel for these girls. (And who can't help but somewhat like The Bachelor?) They're beautiful intelligent beings completely worthy of love. The way they react however, to a man rejecting them whilst dating a myriad of other women I do find pretty humorous. I find it's like being shocked when you find out that the cast of Jersey Shore isn't naturally that Orange Glow tan...come on.
And while these women shed some comedy on to my Monday night I can't help but feel the image of the  sobbing, attractive woman in the stretch limo is all too common in high school. This is something I like to call The Bachelor Effect. A ratio of 1 attractive guy to about 30 girls. Am I not right? So then the battle commences-- There's the strain for the guy's attention, the grueling fight for his love, because after all you deserve it, right? He looks at you in a special way that can't compete with the other 29. And yet there's still the need to prove that you're good enough for him. And just when you think you think your relationship has passed all the tests...you see him give that special look to another unworthy subject. And next thing you know your tear-streaked face is staring out the back of a limo wondering what the hell happened. Let's face it; we've all been that girl (or guy) bringing ourselves and our families to eternal shame over some relationship or another. Most of us, however, have had the privilege of not having it Nationally broadcast-so evildoers such myself can up their Serotonin level while regarding the television screen.
Unfortunately, life can be an extended edition of The Bachelor with perfectly strong, and respectable women transforming into needy beings simply because they convince themselves they can be the last one standing in the end.
And the one lucky fella? He takes his pick of any of his swooning ladies, simply because he can.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha! I love you! This is the best one so far. You can really write, kid.

    ReplyDelete