Friday, March 2, 2012

My Heart WILL Go On

If today cancer was cured, world hunger eradicated, and a remedy to completely erase PMS was discovered, these events would not nearly equal my excitement for the re-release of Titanic in 3D.  I think it's an understatement to say that I've been waiting for this moment since I was 12. That's when I was first introduced to the 11 Academy nominated film, and I've never looked back. Needless to say the moment the soulful music began, and the Keldish plunged deep into the depths that were the remains of Titanic, I was hooked. The moment when the movie entered 1912 with beautiful cinematography and high budget costumes adorned by high budget actors, I was obsessed. The moment Leonardo DiCaprio's face appeared on screen, cards in hand, cigarette in mouth, I was completely fixated to the point my mom should have promptly enrolled me in a 12-step program. After watching the movie three times (let it be on the record this is a 3 hour film) I began doing obsessive research--I was very much like the movie character Rainman except with a much lower IQ and my research was based off of completely fictional characters voyaging on a (spoiler alert!) doomed ship. I even began to do research on how I could get my own Heart of the Ocean necklace, so I could find a homeless artist to draw me wearing that.. only that. Yeah I'm joking about the artist part, but I would be lying if I told you I didn't spend hours on eBay conjuring how I could get my very own necklace/signed movie script/ anything that remotely had to do with the film. I even considered getting a costume made just like the character Rose had in the movie. These outfits cost around $600- the same cost as my car. (This may come as a shock to any of you who have seen my car, because it's obviously worth around $625 but as they say one man's trash is another man's treasure)
After about the 6th or 7th viewing I went to the Titanic exhibit at the Denver Museum. I was given my own ticket to travel on the RMS Titanic and the halls were decorated just like the 19th century ship. There were even live actors in full costume traveling amongst the exhibit in order to liven the experience. Now this was  the equivalent of giving an alcoholic a bottle of Tequila and some shot glasses. My Titanic addiction was rising like her helm that fateful night, April 14th 1912 whilst plunging into the depths of the North Atlantic. (Yeah...that previous sentence gives you a glimpse of my middle school self, only it wasn't funny).
Somewhere around the 9th time watching, I began converting people into my obsession-- old friends, new friends, boyfriends-- If they had never seen the film that was an ice breaker (its funny because Titanic hit an iceberg) -"Hey wanna come over and watch Titanic?" Was my catch phrase. I bragged about my 3-disc boxed collectors edition, how could anyone resist? I would sit there and watch their reactions, impressing them with my knowledge of the movie dialogue. I'm pretty sure, looking back, they weren't laughing because they were impressed...they were laughing because they were concerned about the poor girl who could point out all of the movie mistakes before they occured. She knew all the music queues, but obviously didn't know any social ones.
My most recent Titanic viewing was about two months ago with a friend who cried pretty well at the end.  I will admit to you this was probably my 15th viewing. If you've done the math that's almost two days of my youth spent watching a handsome artist pursue a ritsy, confused woman.
Now, the movie has sort of lost its magic on me, I can see the special effects and past Jacks' charming speeches. Nothing is a surprise to me anymore but this will always be a movie that sort of defines me. Currently, I await the time I see this movie in all its 3D glory--because then I'll be that much closer to my first love, Jack Dawson. So right now I'm just getting by, until the moment I can sit down in that theater chair, put on my 3D glasses and confirm that I've spent an even 48 hours enjoying the beauty that is Titanic.
In case you didn't know, this is what The Heart of the Ocean looks like...don't know where I thought I was going with one of these on.

(Image courtesy of Rakuten Global Market)

No comments:

Post a Comment