Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wild for Wilde Part 2: More Then Friends

"Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love but no friendship." ~Oscar Wilde

As I've ventured through numerous relationships with the opposite sex, I've come to find the above statement hauntingly true. It seems that in friendships between woman and man there' s going to be that burning chemistry that neither of you can ignore, or the exctiting loathing over a broken heart, and 9 times out 10 someone is going to want to more then the other.
But Oscar, I'm sorry to say that there are exceptions to this rule. I think it is possible for two people to be close without a firey attraction between the two of them. I've only had a few types of relationships like this with a guy, and let me tell you that they're pretty amazing. It's nice to get insight into the mysterious world of the opposite sex without worrying about how I look or if I accidentally let out a hideous snort instead of produce a cute, feminine giggle. Someone who you can be totally yourself with yet neither of you has the desire to date. The conversations I've had with these boys have been some of the most fun, funniest and dumbest of my life. They've ranged from Alien abductions to Kim Kardashian (bless all of those who were in earshot) but they also give me insight into the world of masculinity, without the lingering questions and heart break. These types of friendships, sadly, are exceedingly rare and usually work best if one of the people is an a committed relationship.
So I don't think the main question between man and woman is "Can we be more then friends?" it's "Can we be friends at all?"
I don't know about you, but I've come to find that with an innocent realtionship with the opposite gender can quickly turn into a flirty one.
But maybe this is how men and women were supposed to function--can we really help that we're just so attracted to eachother? Nah.
 This type of attraction really is what binds man and woman together. I'm fascinated with the idea that I can get on a bus, make eye contact with an attractive man, and get off deeply infatuated. (Nevermind he probably was using public transportation due to a DUI and license suspension. Attraction knows no bounds.)
Men and women could easily be buddies if we didn't fall in love with eachother so quickly. And in high school, hormones racing left and right, this kind of obsession isn't exactly a one of a kind commodity. So as much as I love my rare, genuine friendships with a man, I like the possibility of finding someone special just as much.
Well what if a true guy-girl friendship without lust is harder to find then Wilson the volleyball? I believe many of us find desire just that much more interesting. And we're all just getting by until the person we want the most sees us as more then just a pal.




Image: IMDb for the movie Just Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment