Saturday, February 2, 2013

Satisfaction Guaranteed

So the other day in my Economics class we briefly discussed guarantees. Why they're important, why we expect them, and how they help sales. By definition a guarantee is; a formal promise or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled. This got me thinking; wouldn't it be nice if we could guarantee our own lives? Or at least put some kind of warranty on them? I don't know about you, but I greatly wish that any big decision that I make came with a 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' label on the outside of the box. I'd like to think that with any choice, there is something beneficial that I will get out of it, and that it won’t completely blow up in my face, dysfunction, or expire. It would be nice to know that everything I will do, guarantees a stable future, good lesson, or at least an interesting story. As I get older though it has come to my attention that a guarantee isn't something that can be bought, it simply can be implied. I can't guarantee that I'll like the movie that I see on a Friday night, or that I'll have fun on a blind date. All I can really do is hope for the best and realize that without a guarantee there is a risk.
I don't think that I've gotten very far with things that I knew were guaranteed. I can watch a movie I've already seen, and guarantee that I'll laugh or I could check out that new Indie blockbuster and risk falling asleep. I could stay in Colorado and guarantee that I will know and love people I'm around, or I can move far away and risk being lonely. While taking a chance is very scary, I've found that with a guarantee there is even more risk involved. I may laugh at the movie, but I risk learning a valuable life lesson from the Indie film I turned down. I may be comfortable in Colorado, but I'm also comfortable on the couch, and last time I checked, staying in one spot for too long can be detrimental. With every guarantee that I accept, the more comfortable I'll become and that to me is scarier than the unknown. We like what we know and what we have seen, but humans will always crave to learn more. While a familiar voice can be soothing, a new sound can be eye opening.
Now I of all people am a sucker for tradition and being close to what I know. But I'm also fearful of being stuck in a rut and looking back on my life knowing that I turned down something beautiful for something that was safe.  A concrete thought or promise is an amazing thing and everyone needs stability. Everyone.
But every person also needs to step out of their own cozy comfort zone and realize that not everything is solidified. This is the biggest lesson that I'm learning right now.
So uncertainty can be scary or even worse, boring. There will always be a lesson to be learned from taking a risk. I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment