Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Art of Being a Housewife

Career.Women.Success.
No I'm not asking you to identify which one doesn't belong, I'm asking if these words really go together. I mean is a career outside of the fashion industry something expected of every woman? I'm not stating this because I'm not 100% a feminist. I'm stating this because the more I grow up, the more I've come to the sad realization that there isn't much expected from many women, as much as we like to believe there is.
Growing up, I was taught to believe there were two possible careers for me to pursue; a ballerina or a princess. Both of which at the age of five seemed like very attainable goals. And while I did have  some friends who enjoyed playing with toy racecars and squirt guns with all the other boys I had a word for them...tomboy and also, weird. Much to my surprise that as I grew up, I discovered that in order to be a ballet dancer I would have had to begun grueling training around the age of four and have spent a copius amount of energy and money I didn't have. Now my second option as a princess didn't seem to be panning out too well either; a handsome, rich bachelor didn't seem to be climbing up to my second story room anytime soon. (Although I still sleep with a rose clasped between my palms adorned in my finest wears...hey. you never know). It seemed those weirdo tomboys had the right idea all along.
And so I fear that all girls wishing to pirouette or leap in front of a crowd who never actually took dance lessons, become strippers and those who rely on a wealthy man to rescue them become house wives. Okay, yes there are tons of women out there who have broken the mold and have done amazing things with their lives. And I admire them for it. But what do we call these women? Career-women. If a man goes on to pursue and achieve a great life what do we call him? A man.
There seems to be a rarity in the breed of successful women in the corporate world. Why? Because society has been conditioning these women to become house wives and exotic dancers. I believe that growing up, girls and boys are conditioned differently. While a boy is brought up to idolize firefighters and police officers a girl is off playing house with her dolls hoping to marry one. Now let me clear something up, I don't have a problem with house wives or girls wanting to be mothers. Everyone has something they're meant to do.  But I do believe there is a problem when girls are raised to believe this is the only way to exist. If a girl were to be handed a toy gavel rather than a magic wand every once in a while, would there still be a major lack in gender neutrality? Are women really given the same ideals as a man? I've met one too many women who are relying on a man to "take care of them." I have to wonder, is it wrong for a woman to rely on herself? I just have this bad feeling that too much emphasis is being put on being saved, rather then investing in savings bonds.
Now I'm not doing this to go on a feminist rant. I realize that even in the past 60 years gender roles have evolved beautifully. So I'm not saying that we should have more women that are like men, but more women with balls. It wouldn't be such huge deal for a woman to have a career or be into sports if society had always been leading her in that direction. But I fear the endless supply of plastic kitchens and glitter tiaras are sending our young women the wrong message. If girls didn't expect so much out of a man providing for them maybe they could expect more out of themselves.  While being pretty is a big part of being a little girl, being pretty broke is the harsh reality of many single mom's who were hoping for a college-educated man to come in and sweep them off their feet.
So maybe if we focus a little less on raising baby dolls in the developing years we can raise a generation of women who know nothing of gender inequality. Women who get paid just as much as a man, and still look darn hot in their stillettos doing it.
So bottom line: continue giving little girls glitter ponies and a Barbie Dream House. Just let it be on the record that Barbie bought the house all on her own, without a single swipe of Ken's credit card.  

Image: Princess Peach from Nintendo's Mario/ Courtesy of Wikipedia.
       

2 comments:

  1. That's right, Barbie bought her own house!! Ha! This is a thought-provoking concept for sure, and it's even more of an issue in countries were woman's rights aren't as protected and promoted. I will say, however, that there is something innate in most girls that causes them to want to play with dolls, play house, and be caregivers. Yes, our society does help mold us into those roles to a certain extent, and there is definitely gender inequality in the workplace, but if you had given me a choice between a toy gavel and a magic wand when I was a girl, I would have chosen the wand. And you know how this career woman turned out! :) And no, it is not wrong for a woman to rely on herself - her God-given talents and brains are no less than those of her male counterpart. However, a woman can also experience freedom in releasing some of her responsibility to a capable (hopefully hot) man whom she loves and trusts. Instead of being seen as being inferior, she can actually be experiencing a blessing! Just a couple more thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete