Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Mosaic

I don't know about you, but whenever I am in the middle of a good novel I can always find one character that I feel I clearly relate to. Right now it is the witty and observant Elizabeth Bennett, heroine of Pride and Prejudice. But it isn't always her, somedays I'm headstrong yet sensitive Bridget from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Others, I'm the sarcastic and misanthropic Holden Caulfield and more times then not I'm Oscar Wilde's very own obsessed and fragile Basil Hallward who finds art in the strangest of places. Now before you begin believing I'm a schizophrenic in desperate need of being committed, I think it's important for everyone to stop and understand that people are more then just a single toned facade. We really are mosaics-- a multitude of shattered pieces brought together to form a complete work of art. And when it comes to Mosaics, much like people, there is much more then meets the eye. If each piece were to be observed individually one would admire that some pieces are more significant then others, more jagged, more vibrant. While others are rounded and draw little attention to the eye. But when the observer steps back they notice that all the broken particles create something noteworthy and complete. In my opinion, these works of art are proof that it is necessary to be broken in order to become whole. Moments that are soul-shattering or world-moving typically tend to define a person not something that lets them be comfortable in the place they're constantly in.
I like to think that people can be walking contradictions, whether it be a charming pessimist or a teacher who actually has a sense of fashion- a human can't be defined simply with one, definitive statement. I've had the pleasure of meeting some Hermoine Grangers combined with a Dorian Gray or some simultaneous Everdeen-Gatsbys. These are humans who resemble fragments of an author's imagination who would argue in the real world yet somehow reside harmoniously in a functioning human being. I doubt that everyone pulls their personal inspiration from fictional characters as much as I do but I will admit, sometimes these characters are as much apart of me as anything physically present. This very moment I can feel the aura of Miss Bennett urging me to be sly yet likeable. Although so many times I feel Holden criticizing me for being a "phony" or Bridget, who pushes me and makes me braver then ever. These characters lived within me even before I read about them but the fact that they existed on paper sculpted and refined my similarities in them, or rather their similarities in myself. Somehow these conflicting characters have the ability to inhabit my body without totally conquering one another.
I believe that everyone has a striking resemblance to literary humans but what's special about us is we can challenge those people in  ways their creator couldn't. We can take their ideaologies and charactersitics and apply them to the real world. They make us realize that it' s okay to be something different for a while, our general character will bring us back to the center of whio we truly wish to be. So now I'm just getting by while my mosaic comes together one slow, and very real piece at a time.

Image: goodreads

2 comments:

  1. a really thoughtful post! you got me wondering who my characters that i relate most to are....what do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... Hermione Granger goes Jane Bennett

    ReplyDelete